Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Scattering Sunshine


In the church I belong to there is a large women's organization called the Relief Society.  There are about six million member throughout the world.  Our motto is "Charity Never Faileth".  One of the women in our group is asked to be the "Compassionate Service Leader".  Her job is to find out the needs of members of the church (and others) and to organize service to help them.  I got a call  yesterday asking me to take in a dinner for five to woman who recently had a hysterectomy.  No problem.  Not only is it a joy to be able to help someone else- I know that the wonderful women in this group are there to help me when I need it!  Gotta love that!

For their dessert I made my husband's favorite (and mine) apple crisp.  This recipe can be found in the Mormon Family Cookbook published in 1982.  Hubby's aunt co-authored the book.  I've made a few minor adaptations.

Best Ever Apple Crisp

Apples, peeled and sliced (1 quart- I like more)
2 T.  lemon juice
1 c. butter
1 1/2 c.  white flour
2 t. cinnamon
2/3 c. white flour
1 c. brown sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 t. nutmeg (optional)

Preheat oven to 400.  Pile apples in a 9x13 cake pan- gently press down.  If apples are sweet sprinkle with lemon juice- I like to use a variety of types of apples for an extra rich flavor.  Using a pastry cutter mix together the remaining ingredients until they are well blended and crumbly.  Bake until the apples are tender and the topping brown and crisp about 30-40 min.  Serve warm- may add ice cream or whipped cream for extra calories--- I mean, extra yumminess!

Scratch and sniff your computer screen- can you smell this- so awesome!!!
signature

Pin It!

1 comment:

Amber said...

Oh man I wish I could scratch and sniff my computer screen. That'd be awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...