Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Small Shelf Makeover

I found a dilapidated, battered shelf at the Salvation Army.  Some of the hooks were broken off- really in quite bad shape and not the most attractive red color either (so sorry that I forgot to upload the picture from my camera before reformatting- sob- I really wanted to show it to you!).  Just think broken, scratched up shelf without much of a ledge on top....try really hard to imagine it so you can be impressed when I show you the finished project ;o)

For the makeover I used duck egg chalk paint (Annie Sloan) and aged everything with dark brown wax as a top coat.  I wanted to make the shelf more substantial.   I looked through the scrap wood in my husbands shop and found a piece that was almost right.   He cut the wood down for me. I stained it with dark walnut stain and waxed it with the dark brown wax- he attached it to the top of the shelf  for me-  such a sweetheart-- then I added a few knobs that were kickin' around this place.  To top the shelf I used a crochet edged napkin, a silk plant with a burlap and vintage earring bow, and some glass bottles.  I'm sure I'll change that up as time goes on-  I need to keep tweaking things.

The empty squares could easily be filled with black and white family photos, illustrations, love notes, piano music, chalkboards, or maps- whatever you love- I found my free vintage seed packet clip art here.

Hurrah for makeovers!

I've linked up to:
Making the world cuter
signature

Pin It!

1 comment:

Wanda said...

Just found your blog, I also love transforming GW finds. The blue shelf is adorable.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...