Thursday, February 23, 2012

How to Lengthen a Skirt by Adding Ruffles


I found a cute gray skirt for my daughter at the thrift store for three dollars.  It was too short. To lengthen it I decided to add two ruffles. I cut a strip of coordinating fabric seven inches wide and long enough to go around the bottom of the skirt almost two times.  I  made a 1/4 inch rolled hem on one side. It is much easier to hem before gathering! On the other side of the strip of fabric I ran a zig zag stitch to reduce fraying and then I ran it through the sewing machine with the ruffler foot on.


I made a second strip of fabric five inches wide and did the same thing.  Then I sewed both ruffles onto the lining of the skirt and topped it with lace, just to add a pretty touch and to hide some of the rough edges.


All done!
signature

Pin It!

2 comments:

Miss Riss said...

That skirt is looking pretty. Thanks for the tutorial. I have an old skirt or two that needs another inch

J. Paige said...

Wish we could work on them together- do you like your new sewing machine?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...